The Palace of Versailles & Gardens: Private Day Trip from Paris
Explore the golden splendour of the Palace of Versailles and its formal gardens on this half-day trip from Paris. The golden palace of the Sun King, Louis XIV, is France’s most visited attraction and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This fantastic tour of Versailles will introduce you to the glory and tragedy of one of the largest royal palaces in the world.
On your private tour of Versailles, you will:
- Travel in comfort with private return transportation from central Paris;
- Learn about the French monarchy and the run-up to the Revolution;
- Hear the story of Louis XIV, France's longest reigning monarch: the Sun King, and his dream of the Palace of Versailles;
- Admire the golden gates and the impressive Baroque architecture;
- See the chapel where the unlucky King Louis XVI and Queen Marie Antoinette were married;
- Hear about the daily routines of the palace royals, nobles and servants and the royal ablutions and the duties of the King's gentlemen;
- Learn the intricacies and scandals of life at court, how to hold your fan, drop your gaze, bow and curtsy;
- Discover the mandate dubbed the 'Versailles Shuffle' and hear about Louis XIV's love of the ballet;
- See the best of the palace, including the Royal Chapel, the magnificent Hall of Mirrors, Peace Room, War Room, and the King’s Grand Apartments;
- Enjoy the formal grandeur and beauty of the Gardens of Versailles;
- On select days when running, enjoy the magical charm of the Musical Fountains shown in the garden;
- After a tour of the famous gardens, enjoy an easy, private transfer back to Paris.
Explore this supreme symbol of royal power, the Palace of Versailles, with your expert private guide. Learn about the history of the French monarchy, and the story of how the young King Louis XIV turned a humble hunting lodge into the golden, gilded Baroque masterpiece of a palace you see today.
Walk the halls that kings, queens, nobles, dignitaries and servants of ages past have walked, admiring the extensive art collection including the King Louis XIV bust by Bernini, and enjoy the exquisite furniture and Baroque atmosphere of this most grandiose of palaces.
Admire the reflections in the Hall of Mirrors - an innovative design for the time, and learn about courtly soirees and etiquette, as well as the scandals, plots and power struggles that dominated life amongst the French nobility.
You will discover the most famous parts of the Palace, such as Versailles' Royal Chapel, the Hall of Mirrors, and the King's Grand Apartments, where you'll learn all about Royal ablutions, and what daily life was like in this most luxurious of palaces.
After exploring the decadent interior, relax and take in the majestic beauty of the formal Gardens at Versailles – the grandest example of classical French landscaping anywhere in France, strewn with many beautiful statues and colossal fountains. On select days, enjoy the Musical Fountains show, which incorporates sound into the beauty of the garden.
Generally, the show runs from April through October, on weekends and some Tuesdays and Fridays. On days when the show is not on, your guide will take you on a walking tour through the Gardens, after which you will return to Paris via private transportation.
Things to note: This tour includes the use of mandatory headsets for groups of 5 or more. Please note: the Musical Fountain show runs from April to October on weekends, and on select Tuesdays and Fridays.